BiF’s region, which includes Kentucky and Southern Indiana, is often called the “crossroads of North America” because of our central location in the Eastern US and superb access and distribution networks to a massive consumer and industrial market. We are home to two of the world’s major shipping hubs: DHL and UPS Worldport. Located at the center of a 34-state distribution area in the eastern US, our Region is within one day’s truck drive to over 60 percent of the US population. Bolstered by 19 interstates and major highways, major rail networks, barge traffic on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, five commercial airports and dozens of regional airports, the Region’s logistics network makes it easy to reach all points of the globe easily and efficiently.
- We rank third in the nation in total air cargo shipments – a logistical dream come true for businesses that move product.
- Kentucky exports reached an all-time high of $27.5 billion in 2014 – the fourth straight year of record-setting export growth. Southern Indiana’s Port of Indiana–Jeffersonville recorded the highest quarterly shipments in its history during the first quarter of 2015, and shipped more than 2 million tons in 2014, also a record.
- Kentucky leads the nation in new businesses created, according to the most recent data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Indiana’s competitive business climate ranks first in the Midwest and seventh nationally for low business costs (Forbes magazine).
- Kentucky has one of the lowest overall costs of doing business and its industrial energy costs are among the country’s lowest – 20 percent less than the national average.
- In fact, Kentucky was named the third most favorable state in the country for business climate in 2015 by Site Selection Magazine, a trade publication for professionals involved in site selection for both industrial and corporate location.
Overall, our region offers ideal logistics for businesses that want to move product. We also have an outstanding complement of universities and research facilities, competitive tax structure, skilled and motivated workforce, business-friendly climate, and strong support for innovation and entrepreneurship. All that adds up to a great place to do business.